Fireworks during the Fourth of July are as American as apple-pie, but, did you know that more fires are reported on that day than on any other day of the year in the United States? Nearly half of these Fires are caused by fireworks. The good news is you can enjoy your holiday and the fireworks, with just a few simple safety tips:
- Point fireworks away from homes, and keep away from brush and leaves and flammable substances. The National Fire Protection Association estimates that local fire departments respond to more 50,000 fires caused by fireworks each year.
- Kids should never play with fireworks. Things like firecrackers, rockets, and sparklers are just too dangerous. If you give kids sparklers, make sure they keep them outside and away from the face, clothing, and hair. Sparklers can reach 1,800° Fahrenheit (982° Celsius) — hot enough to melt gold.
- Always use fireworks outside and have a bucket of water and a hose nearby in case of accidents.
- Soak all fireworks in a bucket of water before throwing them in the trash can.
- Steer clear of others — fireworks have been known to backfire or shoot off in the wrong direction. Never throw or point fireworks at someone, even in jest.
- Don't hold fireworks in your hand or have any part of your body over them while lighting. Wear some sort of eye protection, and avoid carrying fireworks in your pocket — the friction could set them off.
- Light one firework at a time (not in glass or metal containers), and never relight a dud.
- Think about your pet. Animals have sensitive ears and can be extremely frightened or stressed on the Fourth of July. Keep pets indoors to reduce the risk that they'll run loose or get injured.
Fireworks are meant to be enjoyed, but you'll enjoy them much more knowing your family is safe. Take extra precautions this Fourth of July and your holiday will be a blast!
Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 4:41pm PDT
Thanks for the safety tips! One of our clients lost their entire home to a bottle rocket that landed on their roof a few years ago.
Have a safe and fun Independence Day to everyone!